[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jun 26 17:34:29 EDT 2017

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 at 14:28 Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 6/25/2017 4:09 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org
> > <mailto:brett at python.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     On Sun, Jun 25, 2017, 11:24 Terry Reedy, <tjreedy at udel.edu
> >     <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
> >

> >         I was not aware that PRs could be edited via a web UI and have
> >         no idea
> >         how.  I search a PR for something, searched the devguide index
> for
> >         'web', and searched 3 Lifecycle of a pull request.  Did I miss
> >         something.  Also, 6. Helping with Documentation should say
> something
> >         about submitting typo PRs via the web, if indeed that is
> >         possible yet.
> >

> >     You can edit anything via the web, it's just part of GitHub and so
> >     we have not documented it explicitly to avoid just duplicating
> >     GitHub's own docs.
>
> There is a different between 'duplicating' the docs and providing short
> pointers.

Yes, but I've been using GitHub for years so I don't know what is obvious
and isn't anymore. And there is also a balance when documenting things that
we don't control and thus can go stale in the devguide.

This is the sort of thing we could point out in a "pointers on GitHub" page
once someone has time to re-organize the devguide around use-cases (e.g.
external contributor, core dev who doesn't use GitHub day-to-day, and How
we differ from other GitHub projects).

> > If you're still not sure how, from the PR UI go to the "Files changed"
> > tab and click the "pencil" icon on the heading for the file you want to
> > change. The PR creator must have enabled this (but I think it's on by
> > default). When you save, GitHub creates a new commit in the PR's branch
> > and all the usual tests (Travis-CI etc.) get kicked off. Where it breaks
> > down is if you want to edit multiple files (it creates a new commit for
> > each) or if the files are large (scrolling around is awkward) or if you
> > want to make extensive changes (the web editor is limited in its
> > capabilities, it's based on https://codemirror.net/).
>
> Thank you.  This will make reviewing more fun. This should speed up
> editing doc strings and comments and making other small changes (in a
> single file) while reviewing.  I just used this to edit a news item I
> pushed previously.
>
> It seems strange that such an edit triggers a travis download of 3.6 to
> run the cherry_picker test, but that is another issue.

Why is it strange? You changed something in the repository and Travis is
there to test that repository (and Travis doesn't know what you do and do
not want tested). And Python 3.6 doesn't come in the version of Ubuntu they
use so they have to get it somehow (and by downloading they can do stuff
like run release candidates or let people run against development versions
of Python).

> Maybe I will use the web editor to add a a couple of lines to the
> devguide about using the web editor ;-).

:) Seems appropriate if there's a place to put that ATM.

-Brett