[Python-Dev] New work-in-progress bisection tool for the Python test suite (in regrtest)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 20:39:39 EDT 2017

> You could make it just a submodule in the test package.
>
>     ./python -m test.bisect -R 3:3 test_os

I like the idea :-) I proposed a PR which was approved by Yury
Selivanov, and so I just merged it! It means that you can now play
with "./python -m test.bisect" in the master branch. Enjoy ;-)
Example:

   ./python -m test.bisect -R 3:3 test_multiprocessing_forkserver

This command should give you the name of the two failing test methods
which are the last known reference leaks!
=> http://bugs.python.org/issue30775

This specific bisection is very slow since running the 286 tests of
test_multiprocessing_forkserver using -R 3:3 takes longer than 3
minutes on my laptop! And the answer is already know, see the bpo ;-)

FYI, apart of the bpo-30775, all other reference leaks now seem to be
fixed on 2.7, 3.5, 3.6 and master branches! Tested on Windows and
Linux.

Victor