[Python-Dev] Exact date of Python 2 EOL?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 02:03:38 EDT 2017

On 24 March 2017 at 02:19, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 09:41 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
> >Can we pick an official date?
>
> Benjamin should pick the date and update PEP 373.

+1.

The other detail to be clarified is that we know 2020-MM (whatever MM ends
up being) will be the last upstream 2.7.x binary release (so the
security-updates-for-bundled-OpenSSL problem will go away), but we haven't
decided yet how other security updates after that point will be handled.

If It's just RHEL/CentOS (and maybe Software Collections) keeping the
branch alive past the upstream end-of-community-support date it's not a big
deal, but if there are other redistributors or folks running self-supported
binaries still monitoring it for security updates, then it may make sense
to continue putting any required security patches in a common location,
even if we stop doing any new upstream releases.

> I'm still hoping to relegate 2.7 to universe for 18.04 LTS.  I don't think
> we'll be able to drop it entirely (nor should we).  If it stays in main, it
> will get official support until 2023.
>
> https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

As far as I'm aware, Samba is the main remaining challenge for Fedora
Server on that front, but at least all of the libraries it depends on have
received the necessary updates to make them Python 2/3 compatible:
http://fedora.portingdb.xyz/pkg/samba/

Cheers,
Nick.