[Python-Dev] Signups for 2017 Python Language Summit are now open

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Mar 27 14:26:45 EDT 2017

(reposting, cc'ing python-dev)

It’s that time again: time to start thinking about the Python Language Summit!
The 2017 summit will be held on Wednesday, May 17, from 10am to 4pm, at the
Oregon Convention Center in Portland, Oregon, USA.  Your befezzled hosts Larry
and Barry will once again be at the helm.

The summit’s purpose is to disseminate information and spark conversation
among core Python developers.  It’s our yearly opportunity to get together for
an in-person discussion, to review interesting developments of the previous
year and hash out where we’re going next.  And we have lots to talk about!
Since our last summit, Python 3.6 was released, and the main CPython
development process has been moved to GitHub.  Naturally Python 3.7
development continues apace.

Speaking of changes, we’re continuing to evolve the summit.  Everyone seemed
to like the lightning talks, so we’ll keep those.  Everyone seemed to hate us
keeping the schedule secret -sorry!- so we’ll make that available beforehand,
with the understanding that it’ll be fluid as the day progresses.  Due to room
size limitations and the yearly increase in participation, we’re limiting
summit invitations to just core developers and invited speakers.  As usual,
we’ll have whiteboards and a projector.  But this year we’re adding roaming
microphones, so everybody in the room will be able to hear your question!

With the help of the ever awesome Ewa, this year we’ll have badge ribbons for
Language Summit participants, which we’ll hand out at the summit room in the
morning.

As with last year, we’re using Google Forms to collect signups.  The form will
let you request an invitation to the summit and optionally propose a talk.
Signups are open now, and will remain open until Wednesday April 12th, 2017.
You can find the link to the signup form from the summit’s official web page,
here:

     https://us.pycon.org/2017/events/language-summit/

But never forget: you don’t need to be registered for PyCon in order to attend
the summit!

One final note.  We’re re-inviting Jake Edge from Linux Weekly News to attend
the summit and provide press coverage.  Jake’s done a phenomenal job of
covering the previous two years’ summits, providing valuable information not
just for summit attendees, but also for the Python community at large.  Jake’s
coverage goes a long way toward demystifying the summit, while remaining
respectful of confidential information that’s deemed “off the record” ahead of
time by participants.

We hope to see you at the summit!

[BL]arry