[Python-Dev] Misc/NEWS entries for Python 3.7a1

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 02:35:03 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2017, at 08:49, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently, changelog of Python 3.7a1 [1] contains changes between
>> 3.6b1 and 3.7a1.
>> So lot's of bugfixes are listed twice or more in changelog.
>> For example, "bpo-28258: Fixed build with Estonian locale..." are
>> listed under 3.5.3rc1,
>> 3.6.0b2 and 3.7.0a1.
>>
>> [1] https://docs.python.org/3.7/whatsnew/changelog.html#changelog
> [...]
>
> Thanks for noticing. Misc/NEWS is always somewhat problematic.  As you probably know, the Core Workflow SIG, led by Brett, is working on a long-term solution to generating Misc/NEWS, a solution that should be available soon.  One of the duties of the release manager is to "edit" Misc/NEWS; I was planning to wait for the new Misc/NEWS solution and for more of the conversion to Git/GitHub to settle to do anything major to the master (i.e. 3.7) version.  There have already been some major merge mistakes for the 3.6.x Misc/NEWS.  I would recommend not to worry too much about master's Misc/NEWS right now.  I may do some cleaning up before the new Misc/NEWS process is introduced but I will also be reviewing it prior to each of the preview releases, which start later this year.
>
> --
>   Ned Deily
>   nad at python.org -- []

I forgot to mention about it.
I have seen three preview pull requests about new NEWS handling.  All
of them are quite large.
That's one reason why I suggest removing some sections / entries from NEWS now.
I thought reducing changelog size may help the transition.

If I was wrong, let's stop discussion until transition.
I want to help workflow team.  I don't want to disturb them.

Thanks,