[Python-Dev] Developing a Python JIT and have troubld

Yuheng Zou zouyuheng1998 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 00:38:30 EDT 2017

I am building a Python JIT, so I want to change the interp->eval_frame to
my own function.

I built a C++ library which contains EvalFrame function, and then use dlopen
 and dlsym to use it. It looks like this:

extern "C" PyObject *EvalFrame(PyFrameObject *f, int throwflag) {
    return _PyEval_EvalFrameDefault(f, throwflag);}

I added following code to Python/pylifecycle.c at function _Py_InitializeEx_
Private(Python version is 3.6.1):

void *pyjit = NULL;
pyjit = dlopen("../cmake-build-debug/libPubbon.dylib", 0);if (pyjit != NULL) {
    interp->eval_frame = (_PyFrameEvalFunction)dlsym(pyjit, "EvalFrame");
    //interp->eval_frame = _PyEval_EvalFrameDefault;}

Then something strange happened. I used LLDB to trace the variables. When
it ran at EvalFrame, the address of f pointer didn't change, but f->f_lineno
 changed.

Why the address of the pointer didn't change, but the context change?

I am working on Mac OS X and Python 3.6.1. I want to know how to replace
_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault in interp->eval_frame with my own function.