[Python-Dev] Python Tests

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sun May 14 12:08:37 EDT 2017

On 14.05.17 18:04, Pranav Deshpande wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I wanted to contribute to Python so I began by
> following the steps given here: https://docs.python.org/devguide/
>
> WHile executing
>
> ./python -m test -j3
>
> I encountered the following error:
> 383 tests OK.
>
> 1 test failed:
>     test_re
>
> 21 tests skipped:
>     test_curses test_dbm_gnu test_dbm_ndbm test_devpoll test_kqueue
>     test_msilib test_ossaudiodev test_smtpnet test_socketserver
>     test_startfile test_timeout test_tix test_tk test_ttk_guionly
>     test_urllib2net test_urllibnet test_winconsoleio test_winreg
>     test_winsound test_xmlrpc_net test_zipfile64
>
> Total duration: 24 min 25 sec
> Tests result: FAILURE
>
> How do I resolve this?

Run the failed test in verbose mode:

./python -m test -v test_re

Get the traceback, search on the bug tracker whether this bug already
was reported (I suppose you have the en_IN locale and this is issue29571
[1]), and if nothing is found open a new ticket. Now read the code and
try to find the cause of the bug and write a patch that fixes it. If
this is issue29571, the cause is known, and several solutions was
proposed, but the problem is deeper.

[1] https://bugs.python.org/issue29571