[Python-Dev] Snap Python for simple distribution across multiple Linux distros

Martin Wimpress martin.wimpress at canonical.com
Tue May 16 06:31:42 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I work at Canonical as part of the engineering team developing Ubuntu
and Snapcraft [1] and I'm a long time Python fan :-)

We've created snaps, a platform that enables projects to directly
control delivery of software updates to users. This video of a
lightning talk by dlang developers at DConf2017 [2] shows how they've
made good use of snaps to distribute their compiler. They found the
release channels particularly useful so their users can track a
specific release.

Is there someone here who'd be interested in doing the same for Python?

[1] https://snapcraft.io/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-bDzr4gYUU
[3] https://snapcraft.io/docs/core/install
[4] https://build.snapcraft.io/