[Python-Dev] Aligning the packaging.python.org theme with the rest of the docs

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue May 30 08:08:27 EDT 2017

On Tue, 30 May 2017 21:49:19 +1000

> Here's an alternate wording for the README that would focus on those
> considerations without explicitly asking folks not to use the theme:
>
> "Note that when adopting this theme, you're also borrowing an element
> of the trust and credibility established by the CPython core
> developers over the years, as well as the legal credibility arising
> from their close association with the Python Software Foundation.

The statement about "legal credibility" sounds wishy-washy and could
lure users into thinking that they're doing something illegal by
borrowing the theme.

Also I'm not sure what is that "legal credibility" you're talking
about.  If it's about the PSF license and the Python CLA then
better to voice that explicitly, IMO.

> That's fine, and you're welcome to do so for other Python community
> projects if you so choose, but please keep in mind that in doing so
> you're also choosing to become a co-steward of that collective trust
> :)"

"Becoming a co-steward of that collective trust" sounds serious enough
(even though I don't understand what it means concretely), so why
the smiley?

Regards

Antoine.