[Python-Dev] PEP 511 (code transformers) rejected

Lukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Wed Nov 1 19:16:31 EDT 2017

I find this sad. In the JavaScript community the existence of Babel is very important for the long-term evolution of the language independently from the runtime. With Babel, JavaScript programmers can utilize new language syntax while being able to deploy on dated browsers. While there's always some experimentation, I doubt our community would abuse the new syntactic freedom that the PEP provided.

Then again, maybe we should do what Babel did, e.g. release a tool like it totally separately from the runtime.

- Ł