[Python-Dev] PEP 511 (code transformers) rejected

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Nov 2 13:19:04 EDT 2017

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 at 16:17 Lukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:

> I find this sad. In the JavaScript community the existence of Babel is
> very important for the long-term evolution of the language independently
> from the runtime. With Babel, JavaScript programmers can utilize new
> language syntax while being able to deploy on dated browsers. While there's
> always some experimentation, I doubt our community would abuse the new
> syntactic freedom that the PEP provided.
>
> Then again, maybe we should do what Babel did, e.g. release a tool like it
> totally separately from the runtime.

I think the trick here would be getting people more comfortable with
ahead-of-time compilation and then adding the appropriate support to
bytecode files to load other "optimization" levels/tags. Then you load the
.pyc files and rely on co_lnotab as Victor pointed out to get your source
mapping by compiling your source code explicitly instead of as a
side-effect of import. And since this approach would then just be about
generalizing how to specify different tags to match against in .pyc file
names it's easier to get accepted.

-Brett