[Python-Dev] Remove typing from the stdlib

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:15:23 EDT 2017

Hi,

> Maybe we should remove typing from the stdlib?
> https://github.com/python/typing/issues/495

I'm strongly in favor on such move.

My experience with asyncio in the stdlib is that users expect changes
faster than the very slow release process of the stdlib (a release
every 18 months in average).

I saw many PEPs and discussion on the typing design (meta-classes vs
regular classes), as if the typing is not stable enough to be part of
the stdlib.

The typing module is not used yet in the stdlib, so there is no
technically reason to keep typing part of the stdlib. IMHO it's
perfectly fine to keep typing and annotations out of the stdlib, since
the venv & pip tooling is now rock solid ;-)

Victor