[Python-Dev] Reminder: 12 weeks to 3.7 feature code cutoff

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 19:53:08 EDT 2017

> This just popped up in Brython's issue tracker discussion:
>
> """
> Pierre Quentel <notifications at github.com>
>
> 04:57 (16 hours ago)
> to brython-dev/br., Subscribed
>
> I think it's better to rename all occurences of async now, although
> it's strange that :
>
> there is currently no deprecation warning in CPython with code that
> uses it as a variable name, PEP492 said that "async and await names
> will be softly deprecated in CPython 3.5 and 3.6"
> there is no mention of async and await becoming keywords in What's new
> in Python 3.7
>
> Maybe the idea was finally given up, but I can't find a reference.

async & await already became concrete keywords in Python 3.7:

$ ./python
Python 3.7.0a2+ (heads/master-dirty:cbe1756e3e, Nov  4 2017, 00:24:07)
>>> async=1
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    async=1
         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Please request an entry in the "What's New in Pyhon 3.7" at
https://bugs.python.org/issue30406

Victor