[Python-Dev] [python-committers] Reminder: 12 weeks to 3.7 feature code cutoff

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 20:46:48 EST 2017

On 6 November 2017 at 02:02, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The current lack of DeprecationWarnings in 3.6 is a fairly major
>> oversight/bug, though:
>
> There's no oversight.  We had PendingDeprecationWarning for
> async/await names in 3.5, and DeprecationWarning in 3.6.  You just
> need to enable warnings to see them:

Gah, seven years on from Python 2.7's release, I still get caught by
that. I'm tempted to propose we reverse that decision and go back to
enabling them by default :P

If app devs don't want their users seeing deprecation warnings, they
can silence them globally during app startup, and end users can do the
same in PYTHONSTARTUP for their interactive sessions.

Cheers,
Nick.