[Python-Dev] Proposal: go back to enabling DeprecationWarning by default

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 10:20:45 EST 2017

On 6 November 2017 at 14:16, Gustavo Carneiro <gjcarneiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> But eventually, the warnings in 3rd-party Python modules gradually increased
> because, since warnings are disabled by default, authors of command-line
> tools, or even python modules,  don't even realise they are triggering the
> warning.
>
> So developers stop fixing warnings because they are hidden.  Things get
> worse and worse over the years.  Eventually I got fed up and removed the
> PYTHONWARNINGS env var.

Maybe it's worth running the test suites of a number of major packages
like pip, requests, django, ... with warnings switched on, to see what
the likely impact of making warnings display by default would be on
those projects? Hopefully, it's zero, but hard data is always better
than speculation :-)

Paul