[Python-Dev] Partial support of a platform

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 19:42:24 EST 2017

> Several month ago there was a couple of buildbots including NetBSD and
> OpenBSD. What happened to them? Was the support of NetBSD and OpenBSD
> officially stopped as well as the support of OpenIndiana?

While I don't recall seeing any NetBSD buildbot, I recall that we had
a OpenBSD buildbot but it was red as far as I recall. Many tests were
failing on OpenBSD: test_crypt, test_socket, and many others.

Since we have much more "green" buildbot workers nowadays, I would
prefer to wait until almost all tests pass on a "new" platform, before
plugging a new buildbot. For example, I am now subscribed to the
buildbot-status@ mailing list which may be flooded by failures until a
buildbot becomes stable.

I'm ok with skipping enough tests for a "new" platforms to get a
"green" test suite, and fix skipped tests later. In my experience,
keeping tests which fail forever is annoying and hides new
regressions.

Even if a buildbot which always fail shouldn't send email
notifications, in practice, buildbot likes to send emails for various
reasons, even if the previous build was already a failure and the new
build is still a failure :-) But maybe we can adjust the buildbot
configuration to not send notifications on some buildbot workers.

Victor