[Python-Dev] Remove typing from the stdlib

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 7 14:38:56 EST 2017

On Nov 7, 2017, at 10:41, Lukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:

> 3. Does that mean that Debian is going to rip it out and make people install a `python-typing` .deb? Sadly, probably yes. We need to figure out what that means for us.

Maybe.  Full disclosure, I’ve recently scaled back my contributions to Debian, so I won’t be doing this work, but if I was, I’d probably handle it very similarly to other replaceable external dependencies (e.g. pip).

There is a small loophole in policy to allow for the building and use of wheels for just this *limited* purpose.  So roughly I would propose packaging the external python-typing package as a separately installable deb, but also to build this into a wheel that we can pull in at python3.7 interpreter package build time.

It’s fairly easy to do, and all the infrastructure is already there.  What would be useful is for upstream CPython to make it easy to import an externally built and installed wheel, from some location outside of its own installed tree (/usr/share/python-wheels).

Cheers,
-Barry