[Python-Dev] Analog of PEP 448 for dicts (unpacking in assignment with dict rhs)

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Sat Nov 11 22:08:39 EST 2017

On 11 November 2017 at 23:40, Koos Zevenhoven <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, forgot to reply to the list.
>

> On Nov 12, 2017 03:35, "Koos Zevenhoven" <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Nov 12, 2017 02:12, "Joao S. O. Bueno" <jsbueno at python.org.br> wrote:
>
> Ben, I have a small package which enables one to do:
>
> with MapGetter(my_dictionary):
>     from my_dictionary import a, b, parameter3
>
> If this interests you, contributions so it can get hardenned for
> mainstram acceptance are welcome.
> https://github.com/jsbueno/extradict
>

> Your VersionDict in fact has some similarities to what I have thought of
> implementing using the PEP 555 machinery, but it is also a bit different.
> Interesting...

My main issue with that VersionDict is that after I did it, I didn't
had a real case
where to use it. So, it never been used beyond the unit tests and some
playing around.
(I wrote it when dicts in Python got versioning and that was only
visible from the C-API)

I remember the idea for the versioned value retrieved occurred to me
quite naturally when I wrote it,
so it is probably close to the "OOWTDI".