[Python-Dev] PEP 565: Show DeprecationWarning in __main__

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Mon Nov 13 08:55:00 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:37:46PM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >> https://bugs.python.org/issue1539925
> >> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/6611
> >
> > Depends what you call "better".  Personally, I don't want to see
> > warnings each and every time I use a deprecated or questionable
> > construct or API from the REPL.
>
> Isn't that the entire *point* of warnings? When you're working at the
> REPL, you're the one in control of which APIs you use, so you should
> be the one to know about deprecations.

I haven't followed the long discussions, so this is probably not a very
novel observation.

But it seems to me that we have a problem getting users to treat the
python command like e.g. gcc.

If I want gcc warnings, I use -Wall -Wextra.

I think the whole problem is that python warnings are a bit of an obscure
feature (they were to me for a long time).

Stefan Krah