[Python-Dev] PEP 561 rework

Ethan Smith ethan at ethanhs.me
Mon Nov 13 20:38:49 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Sebastian Rittau <srittau at rittau.biz>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> Am 14.11.2017 um 00:29 schrieb Guido van Rossum:
>
>> This is a nice piece of work. I expect to accept it pretty much verbatim
>> (with some small edits, see https://github.com/python/peps/pull/467). I
>> agree with Nick that we don't have to do anything specifically about
>> control of foo_stubs packages -- nor do I think we need to worry about
>> foo_stubs vs. foo-stubs.
>>
>> Everyone else: if you think this should not go through, now's the time to
>> reply-all here!
>>
> I am really looking forward to the implementation of this PEP and I am
> glad that it is close to acceptance. One thing that is not really clear to
> me is how module-only packages are handled. Say I have a package "foo" that
> installs the file "foo.py" to site-packages, where would I install
> "foo.pyi" and py.typed to? Or is this case not supported and I have to
> convert the foo module into a package containing just __init__.py?
>
> The PEP as of right now provides no support for module only distributions.
I don't think it would be possible to support inline typing in module only
distributions, as a random mymod.py in site/dist-packages is hard to trust.
Refactoring into a package is probably the best option. Alternatively, I
believe a mymod_stubs with just an __init__.pyi might work as a work around
as well.

Ethan