[Python-Dev] PEP 560

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 15 17:36:41 EST 2017

On 11/14/2017 3:26 PM, Ivan Levkivskyi wrote:
> After some discussion on python-ideas, see
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-September/047220.html,
> this PEP received positive comments. The updated version that takes into
> account the comments that appeared in the discussion so far is available
> at https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0560/
>
> Here I post the full text for convenience:
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> PEP: 560
> Title: Core support for typing module and generic types
> Author: Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivskyi at gmail.com <mailto:levkivskyi at gmail.com>>

Suggested wording improvements:

> Performance
> -----------
>
> The ``typing`` module is one of the heaviest and slowest modules in
> the standard library even with all the optimizations made.

> Mainly this is
> because of subscripted generic types (see PEP 484 for definition of terms
> used in this PEP) are class objects (see also [1]_).

Delete 'of' after 'because' to make this a proper sentence.

> The three main ways how

"There are three ..." reads better to me.

> the performance can be improved with the help of the proposed special
> methods:
>
> - Creation of generic classes is slow since the ``GenericMeta.__new__`` is
>    very slow; we will not need it anymore.
>
> - Very long MROs for generic classes will be twice shorter;

I  believe by 'twice shorter', which is meaningless by itself, you mean
'half as long'.  If so, please say the latter.
  > they are present
>    because we duplicate the ``collections.abc`` inheritance chain
>    in ``typing``.
>
> - Time of instantiation of generic classes will be improved

Instantiation of generic classes will be faster.

--
Terry Jan Reedy