[Python-Dev] Add a developer mode to Python: -X dev command line option

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:00:38 EST 2017

My draft addition to the -X dev doc:
"""
The developer mode is different from the "debug mode" of some modules of the
standard library which enables a lot of debug logs. The developer mode should
only log a warning if a potential bug is detected.

The developer mode has a limited effect. Many modules of the standard library
have their own "debug mode" which is not enabled in the developer mode. See
also the :data:`__debug__` flag disabled by the :option:`-O` option, and
:data:`sys.flags.debug` enabled by the :option:`-d` option.
"""

You forgot the infamous -d option!

Honestly, I never used __debug__ nor sys.flags.debug.

I like adding yet another option to confuse people a little bit more!

Victor