[Python-Dev] Python initialization and embedded Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 23:01:15 EST 2017

On 24 November 2017 at 12:21, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:

> On 11/23/2017 5:31 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> - a consolidated list of *all* the APIs that can safely be called before
> Py_Initialize
>
> So it is interesting to know that list, of course, but the ones that are
> to be supported and documented might be a smaller list. Or might not.

Ah, sorry - "safely" was a bit ambiguous there. By "safely" I meant
"CPython has a regression test that ensures that particular API will keep
working before Py_Initialize(), regardless of any changes we may make to
the way we handle interpreter initialization".

We've long had a lot of other APIs that happen to work well enough for
CPython itself to get away with using them during the startup process, but
the official position on those is "Don't count on these APIs working prior
to Py_Initialize() in the general case - we only get away with it because
we can adjust the exact order in which we do things in order to account for
any other changes that break it".

Cheers,
Nick.