[Python-Dev] Can Python guarantee the order of keyword-only parameters?

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 19:27:20 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> I'd like inspect.signature to guarantee that the order of keyword-only
> parameters always matches the order they were declared in.  Technically this
> isn't a language feature, it's a library feature.  But making this guarantee
> would require that CPython internally cooperate, so it's kind of a language
> feature too.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?  Would it need a PEP?  I'm hoping for "yes" and
> "no", respectively.

+1

There is definitely significant information in source code text that
gets thrown away in some cases, which I'm generally in favor of
preserving (see PEP 468 and PEP 520).  The use case here is unclear to
me, but the desired guarantee is effectively the status quo and it is
a minor guarantee as well, so I don't see the harm.  Furthermore, I
don't see a need for a PEP given the small scale and impact.

-eric