[Python-Dev] Removing files from the repository

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:25:38 EST 2017

Hi,

Serhiy opened this thread after I removed tools for CVS and Subversion from
the master branch: two scripts and a svnmap.txt file. I removed
Misc/svnmap.txt, a mapping of Subversion commits to Mercurial commits. The
change was approved by 3 core dev, but then I was asked to restore (only)
the svnmap.txt and so I reverted it. See the issue and the pull request for
the full story:

https://bugs.python.org/issue32159

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/4615

I misunderstood the purpose of the file. I understood that it was used by
removed scripts, whereas it was kept for historic purpose, to find
Suversion commits like r12345.

The mapping maps to Mercurial commits, whereas the CPython repository was
converted to Git in the meanwhile.

The last 3 years, I someone need to get access to an old r12345 commit, but
it was always in messages on the bug tracker which is able to give me a
working link to the actual change.

Victor