[Python-Dev] Python startup optimization: script vs. service

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 07:10:32 EDT 2017

Hi.

My company is using Python for web service.
So I understand what you're worrying.
I'm against fine grained, massive lazy loading too.

But I think we're careful enough for lazy importing.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/3849
In this PR, I stop using textwrap entirely, instead of lazy import.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/3796
In this PR, lazy loading only happens when uuid1 is used.
But uuid1 is very uncommon for nowdays.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/3757
In this PR, singledispatch is lazy loading types and weakref.
But singledispatch is used as decorator.
So if web application uses singledispatch, it's loaded before preforking.

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/1269
In this PR, there are some lazy imports.
But the number of lazy imports seems small enough.

I don't think we're going to too aggressive.

In case of regular expression, we're about starting discussion.
No real changes are made yet.

For example, tokenize.py has large regular expressions.
But most of web application uses only one of them: linecache.py uses
tokenize.open(), and it uses regular expression for encoding cookie.
(Note that traceback is using linecache.  It's very commonly imported.)

So 90% of time and memory for importing tokenize is just a waste not
only CLI application, but also web applications.
I have not create PR to lazy importing linecache or tokenize, because
I'm worrying about "import them at first traceback".

I feel Go's habit helps in some cases; "A little copying is better than a
little dependency."
(https://go-proverbs.github.io/ )
Maybe, copying `tokenize.open()` into linecache is better than lazy loading
tokenize.

Anyway, I completely agree with you; we should careful enough about lazy
(importing | compiling).

Regards,

Inada Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com>