[Python-Dev] Python startup optimization: script vs. service

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:02:15 EDT 2017

> That approach could work, but I think that it is the wrong approach. I'd
> rather keep Python optimized for long-running processes and introduce a
> new mode / option to optimize for short-running scripts.

"Filling caches on demand" is an old pattern. I don't think that we
are doing anything new here.

If we add an opt-in option, I would prefer to have an option to
explicitly "fill caches", rather than the opposite.

I know another example of "lazy cache": base64.b85encode() fills a
cache at the first call.

Victor