[Python-Dev] PEP 554 v3 (new interpreters module)

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Tue Oct 3 13:01:29 EDT 2017

On 03Oct2017 0755, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 08:36:55 -0600
> Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>>> How would that work?  If it's simply a matter of flipping a bit, why
>>> don't we do it for all objects?
>>
>> The type would also have to be safe to share between interpreters. :)
>
> But what does it mean to be safe to share, while the exact degree
> and nature of the isolation between interpreters (and also their
> concurrent execution) is unspecified?
>
> I think we need a sharing protocol, not just a flag.

The easiest such protocol is essentially:

* an object can represent itself as bytes (e.g. generate a bytes object
representing some global token, such as a kernel handle or memory address)
* those bytes are sent over the standard channel
* the object can instantiate itself from those bytes (e.g. wrap the
existing handle, create a memoryview over the same block of memory, etc.)
* cross-interpreter refcounting is either ignored (because the kernel is
refcounting the resource) or manual (by including more shared info in
the token)

Since this is trivial to implement over the basic bytes channel, and
doesn't even require a standard protocol except for convenience, Eric
decided to avoid blocking the core functionality on this. I'm inclined
to agree - get the basic functionality supported and let people build on
it before we try to lock down something we don't fully understand yet.

About the only thing that seems to be worth doing up-front is some sort
of pending-call callback mechanism between interpreters, but even that
doesn't need to block the core functionality (you can do it trivially
with threads and another channel right now, and there's always room to
make something more efficient later).

There are plenty of smart people out there who can and will figure out
the best way to design this. By giving them the tools and the ability to
design something awesome, we're more likely to get something awesome
than by committing to a complete design now. Right now, they're all
blocked on the fact that subinterpreters are incredibly hard to start
running, let alone experiment with. Eric's PEP will fix that part and
enable others to take it from building blocks to powerful libraries.

Cheers,
Steve