[Python-Dev] Reorganize Python categories (Core, Library, ...)?

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Oct 4 07:52:53 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Python uses a few categories to group bugs (on bugs.python.org) and
> NEWS entries (in the Python changelog). List used by the blurb tool:
>
> #.. section: Security
> #.. section: Core and Builtins
> #.. section: Library
> #.. section: Documentation
> #.. section: Tests
> #.. section: Build
> #.. section: Windows
> #.. section: macOS
> #.. section: IDLE
> #.. section: Tools/Demos
> #.. section: C API
>
> My problem is that almost all changes go into "Library" category. When
> I read long changelogs, it's sometimes hard to identify quickly the
> context (ex: impacted modules) of a change.
>
> It's also hard to find open bugs of a specific module on
> bugs.python.org, since almost all bugs are in the very generic
> "Library" category. Using full text returns "false positives".
>
> I would prefer to see more specific categories like:
>
> * Buildbots: only issues specific to buildbots

I would expect anything listed under buildbot to be about infrastructure
changes related to the running of build machines.

I think what you're getting at are the bugs that appear on build machines
that weren't otherwise caught during the development of a recent change. In
the end those are still just bugs in code, so I'm not sure I would group
them at such a high level. Wouldn't this be a better use of the priority
field?