[Python-Dev] Reorganize Python categories (Core, Library, ...)?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Oct 4 11:55:09 EDT 2017

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 15:22:48 +0200
Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If  there's a crash in socket.sendmsg() that affects mainly
> > multiprocessing, should it be in "Networking", "Security" or
> > "Parallelism"?
>
> bugs.python.org allows you to select zero or *multiple* categories :-)

I'm getting confused.  Are you talking about NEWS file categories or
bugs.python.org categories?

> >  If there's a bug where SSLSocket.recvinto() doesn't
> > accept some writable buffers, is it "Networking" or "Security"? etc.
>
> Usually, when the reach the final fix, it becomes much easier to pick
> the correct category.

There is no definite "correct category" when you're mixing different
classification schemes (what kind of bug it is --
bug/security/enhancement/etc. --, what functional domain it pertains
to -- networking/concurrency/etc. --, which stdlib API it affects).
That's the problem I was pointing to.

Regards

Antoine.