[Python-Dev] Reorganize Python categories (Core, Library, ...)?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Oct 4 11:59:28 EDT 2017

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 09:39:21 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2017, at 05:52, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My problem is that almost all changes go into "Library" category. When
> > I read long changelogs, it's sometimes hard to identify quickly the
> > context (ex: impacted modules) of a change.
> >
> > It's also hard to find open bugs of a specific module on
> > bugs.python.org, since almost all bugs are in the very generic
> > "Library" category. Using full text returns "false positives".
> >
> > It's hard to find categories generic enough to not only contain a
> > single item, but not contain too many items neither. Other ideas:
> >
> > * XML: xml.doc, xml.etree, xml.parsers, xml.sax modules
> > * Import machinery: imp and importlib modules
> > * Typing: abc and typing modules
>
> I often run into the same problem.  If we’re going to split up the Library section, then I think it makes sense to follow the top-level organization of the library manual:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html

I think I'd rather type the module name than have to look up the
proper category in the documentation.

IOW, the module name -> category mapping alluded to by Victor would
need to exist somewhere in programmatic (or machine-readable) form.

But then we might as well store the actual module name in the NEWS
files and do the mapping when generating the presentation :-)

Regards

Antoine.