[Python-Dev] PEP 564: Add new time functions with nanosecond resolution

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:23:15 EDT 2017

>> This PEP adds five new functions to the ``time`` module:
>>
>> * ``time.clock_gettime_ns(clock_id)``
>> * ``time.clock_settime_ns(clock_id, time: int)``
>> * ``time.perf_counter_ns()``
>> * ``time.monotonic_ns()``
>> * ``time.time_ns()``
>
> Why not ``time.process_time_ns()``?

I only wrote my first email on python-ideas to ask this question, but
I got no answer on this question, only proposal of other solutions to
get time with nanosecond resolution. So I picked the simplest option:
start simple, only add new clocks, and maybe add more "_ns" functions
later.

If we add process_time_ns(), should we also add nanosecond resolution
to other functions related to process or CPU time?

* Add "ru_utime_ns" and "ru_stime_ns" to the resource.struct_rusage
used by os.wait3(), os.wait4() and resource.getrusage()

* For os.times(): add os.times_ns()? For this one, I prefer to add a
new function rather than duplicating *all* fields of os.times_result,
since all fields store durations

Victor