[Python-Dev] PEP 564: Add new time functions with nanosecond resolution

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 23 18:59:20 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aligning simulation data in context to other events may be enlightening:
> is there a good library for handing high precision time units in Python
> (and/or CFFI)?

Well, numpy's datetime64 can be set to use (almost) whatever unit you want:

https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.13.0/reference/arrays.
datetime.html#datetime-units

Though it uses a single epoch, which I don't think ever made sense with
femtoseconds....

And it has other problems, but it was designed that way, just for the
reason.

However, while there has been discussion of improvements, like making the
epoch settable, none of them have happened, which makes me think that no
one is using it for physics experiments, but rather plain old human
calendar time...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov