[Python-Dev] PEP 564: Add new time functions with nanosecond resolution

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 11:31:48 EDT 2017

Warning: the PEP 564 doesn't make any assumption about clock
synchronizations. My intent is only to expose what the operating
system provides without losing precision. That's all :-)

> NTP is layered over UDP.  The article shows base case UDP latencies of
> around 15µs over 10Gbps Ethernet.

Ah ok.

IMHO the discussion became off-topic somewhere, but I'm curious, so I
searched about the best NTP accuracy and found:

https://blog.meinbergglobal.com/2013/11/22/ntp-vs-ptp-network-timing-smackdown/

"Is the accuracy you need measured in microseconds or nanoseconds?  If
the answer is yes, you want PTP (IEEE 1588).  If the answer is in
milliseconds or seconds, then you want NTP."

"There is even ongoing standards work to use technology developed at
CERN (...) to extend PTP to picoseconds."

It seems like PTP is more accurate than NTP.

Victor