[Python-Dev] Migrate python-dev to Mailman 3?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:40:40 EDT 2017

On 26 October 2017 at 20:19, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:

> Le 26/10/2017 à 12:15, Victor Stinner a écrit :
> >> Is it possible to have a
> >> pipermail-style UI as an alternative?
> >
> > I don't know pipermail. Do you have an example?
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/ :-)
>
> > The main drawback of Mailman 2 archives is that discussions are
> > splitted between each month. It can be a pain to follow a long
> > discussion done in multiple months. Sadly, I don't know if Mailman 3
> > handles this case better :-D
>
> If I take
> https://mail.python.org/mm3/archives/list/buildbot-status@
> python.org/thread/MZ7QOZM6V7OALPSYSNSIHGGSLXMQHCF2/
> as an example, I don't think it will allow to follow a long discussion
> *at all*.  Can you imagine a 100-message thread displayed that way?

If folks want to see MM3 in action with some more active lists, I'd suggest
looking at the Fedora MM3 instance, especially the main dev list:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/

There's a 100 message thread about Firefox 57 here, and it's no harder to
read than a long thread on any other web forum:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/K5HSROMAIMNYSJONB5EIAQKWKYNFYSHK/
(if you switch to the strictly chronological display, it's almost
*identical* to a web forum)

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/WKEB6M7J2WTFJBZYD7AZ4JB6J2O6VEWK/
is an example of a thread that was first posted back in July, but then
updated more recently when the change slipped from F27 into F28.

If you look at the activity for a month, as in
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/2017/10/?count=50,
the archiver will show you a single entry for each thread active in that
month, with a link through to the consolidate archive view.

Pages for individual messages do exist (e.g.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/HBA3O755BWRZMTDBBOCUHCKC3RREGTII/
), and I'd expect Aurelian to be amenable to accepting a PR at
https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty if anyone was particularly keen to
add pipermail style forward/back buttons to those pages.

Similarly, I'd be surprised if anyone objected to a toggle on the thread
view page that allowed you to opt in to hiding the full message contents by
default (and hence get back to a more pipermail style
"Subject-lines-and-poster-details-only" overview).

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. MM3 supports a multi-archiver design, so it would presumably also be
possible to write a static-HTML-only pipermail style archiver that ran in
parallel with the interactive web gateway.