[Python-Dev] Migrate python-dev to Mailman 3?

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 11:42:20 EDT 2017

26.10.17 12:24, Victor Stinner пише:
> We are using Mailman 3 for the new buildbot-status mailing list and it
> works well:
>
> https://mail.python.org/mm3/archives/list/buildbot-status@python.org/
>
> I prefer to read archives with this UI, it's simpler to follow
> threads, and it's possible to reply on the web UI!
>
> To be honest, we got some issues when the new security-announce
> mailing list was quickly migrated from Mailman 2 to Mailman 3, but
> issues were quicky fixed as well.
>
> Would it be possible to migrate python-dev to Mailman 3? Do you see
> any blocker issue?

+1! Current UI is almost unusable. When you read a message the only
navigation links are available are "pref/next in the thread" and back to
the global list of messages. So you should either read all messages
sequentially in some linearized order and lost a context when jump from
the end of one branch to the start of other branch, or switch to the
three view and open every message in a separate tab and switch between
tabs. I preferred to use Gmane, but its web-interface now doesn't work.

Does Mailman 3 provide a NNTP interface? The NNTP interface of Gmane
still works, but it can be switched off at any time. It would be more
reliable to not depend on an unstable third-party service.