[Python-Dev] The syntax of replacement fields in format strings

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Oct 31 06:52:23 EDT 2017

If I had it to do over again, I’d implement it more strictly and only allow chars that are valid in identifiers.

But see https://bugs.python.org/issue31907 for a case that is currently valid and would break if we changed how it worked.

I’m not sure it’s worth the churn of deprecating this and eventually making it illegal.

--
Eric.