[Python-Dev] Consolidate stateful runtime globals

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 6 06:14:59 EDT 2017

Hello,

I'm a bit concerned about
https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/76d5abc8684bac4f2fc7cccfe2cd940923357351

My main gripe is that makes writing C code more tedious.  Simple C
global variables such as "_once_registry" are now spelled
"_PyRuntime.warnings.once_registry".  The most egregious example seems
to be "_PyRuntime.ceval.gil.locked" (used to be simply "gil_locked").

Granted, C is more verbose than Python, but it doesn't have to become
that verbose.  I don't know about you, but when code becomes annoying
to type, I tend to try and take shortcuts.

Regards

Antoine.