[Python-Dev] PEP 553: Built-in debug()

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:55:20 EDT 2017

If I may suggest a small API tweak, I think it would be useful if
breakpoint() accepted an optional header argument. In IPython, the
equivalent for non-postmortem debugging is IPython.embed, which can be
given a header. This is useful to provide the user with some
information about perhaps where the breakpoint is coming from, relevant
data they might want to look at, etc:

```
from IPython import embed

def f(x=10):
    y = x+2
    embed(header="in f")
    return y

x = 20
print(f(x))
embed(header="Top level")
```

I understand in most cases these are meant to be deleted right after
usage and the author is likely to have a text editor open next to the
terminal where they're debugging.  But still, I've found myself putting
multiple such calls in a code to look at what's going on in different
parts of the execution stack, and it can be handy to have a bit of
information to get your bearings.

Just a thought...

Best