[Python-Dev] PEP 553: Built-in debug()

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 7 12:50:19 EDT 2017

On Sep 6, 2017, at 23:10, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> Environmental variables are set to strings, not objects.  It is not clear how you intend to handle the conversion.

The environment variable names a module import path.  Without quibbling about the details of the syntax (because honestly, I’m not convinced it’s a useful feature), it would work roughly like:

* The default value is equivalent to PYTHONBREAKPOINTHOOK=pdb.set_trace
* breakpoint() splits the value on the rightmost dot
* modules on the LHS are imported, then the RHS is getattr’d out of that
* That’s the callable breakpoint() calls

-Barry