[Python-Dev] Consolidate stateful runtime globals

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Thu Sep 7 14:08:41 EDT 2017

Is there any issue with unit-at-a-time optimization?  I would
imagine that a static global would allow optimizations that are not
safe for a exported global (not sure the C term for it).

I suspect it doesn't matter and I support the idea in general.
Global variables in extension modules kills the idea of a
mark-and-sweap or some other GC mechanism.  That's probably not
going to happen but identifying all of the global state seems like a
step forward.