[Python-Dev] PEP 557: Data Classes

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 22:27:22 EDT 2017

> On Sep 10, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>
> And now I've pushed a version that works with Python 3.6 to PyPI at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/dataclasses
>
> It implements the PEP as it currently stands. I'll be making some tweaks in the coming weeks. Feedback is welcomed.
>
> The repo is at https://github.com/ericvsmith/dataclasses

+1
Overall, this looks very well thought out.
Nice work!

Once you get agreement on the functionality, name bike-shedding will likely be next.  In a way, all classes are data classes so that name doesn't tell me much.  Instead, it would be nice to have something suggestive of what it actually does which is automatically adding boilerplate methods to a general purpose class.  Perhaps, @boilerplate or @autoinit or some such.

Raymond