[Python-Dev] PEP 557: Data Classes

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon Sep 11 21:27:41 EDT 2017

On 9/11/2017 12:34 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:32 AM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>> On 9/10/17 11:08 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>>> Why do you even have a hash= argument on individual fields? For the
>>> whole class, I can imagine you might want to explicitly mark a whole
>>> class as unhashable, but it seems like the only thing you can do with
>>> the field-level hash= argument is to create a class where the __hash__
>>> and __eq__ take different fields into account, and why would you ever
>>> want that?
>>

>> The use case is that you have a cache, or something similar, that doesn't
>> affect the object identity.
>
> But wouldn't this just be field(cmp=False), no need to fiddle with hash=?

Ah, true. You're right, I can't see any good use for setting hash on a
field that isn't already controlled by cmp. I think field level hash can go.

>>> Though honestly I can see a reasonable argument for removing the
>>> class-level hash= option too. And even if you keep it you might want to
>>> error on some truly nonsensical options like defining __hash__ without
>>> __eq__. (Also watch out that Python's usual rule about defining __eq__
>>> blocking the inheritance of __hash__ does not kick in if __eq__ is added
>>> after the class is created.)

At the class level, I think it makes more sense. But I'll write up some
motivating examples.
>>> I've sometimes wished that attrs let me control whether it generated
>>> equality methods (eq/ne/hash) separately from ordering methods
>>> (lt/gt/...). Maybe the cmp= argument should take an enum with options
>>> none/equality-only/full?
>>

>> Yeah, I've thought about this, too. But I don't have any use case in mind,
>> and if it hasn't come up with attrs, then I'm reluctant to break new ground
>> here.
>
> https://github.com/python-attrs/attrs/issues/170
>
>  From that thread, it feels like part of the problem is that it's
> awkward to encode this using only boolean arguments, but they're sort
> of stuck with that for backcompat with how they originally defined
> cmp=, hence my suggestion to consider making it an enum from the start
> :-).

I'll respond to other emails about this, probably tomorrow.

Eric.