[Python-Dev] Why aren't decorators just expressions?

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Sep 16 14:23:04 EDT 2017

I always realized the restriction was there, and once in a while mention it
in teaching. But I've NEVER had an actual desire to use anything other that
a simple decorator or a "decorator factory" (which I realize is a decorator
in the grammar, but it's worth teaching how to parameterize custom ones,
which is a factory).

I've used barry_as_FLUFL more often, actually... Albeit always joking
around for students, not in production covfefe.

On Sep 16, 2017 9:46 AM, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote:

On Sep 16, 2017, at 02:39, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> I'm not proposing that we allow arbitrary expressions as decorators...
well, I'm not doing that yet at least.  But like I said, the syntax has
been this way for 13 years and I don't recall anybody complaining.

Indeed, I can’t remember a single time where I’ve needed that, let alone
actually realized the restriction existed.  But now that you mention it, I
do remember discussions in favor of the more restricted syntax when the
feature was originally being debated.  I don’t remember the reasons though
- it well could have been an abundance of caution over how far to take the
new syntax (and understanding of course that it’s easier to relax than
restrict).

-Barry

mertz%40gnosis.cx