[Python-Dev] IDLE colorizer

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Mon Apr 2 14:32:17 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-02 05:43, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> My question for you: how on earth did you find this?! Speaking of a
> needle in a haystack. Did you run some kind of analysis program that
> looks for regexprs? (We've received some good reports from someone who
> did that looking for possible DoS attacks.)

The thread was about string prefixes.

Terry Reedy wrote "IDLE's colorizer does its parsing with a giant regex."

I wondered: "How bad could it be?" (It's smaller now that the IGNORECASE
flag can have a local scope.)

It wasn't hard to find because it was in a file called "colorizer.py" in
a folder called "idlelib".