[Python-Dev] gdb support could use some love

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 5 14:48:57 EDT 2018

On 4/5/2018 5:47 AM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> There are a bunch of open issues regarding gdb support including one with a PR in need of review for 3.6+.
>
> I rejected one (which assumed everyone now uses a python-aware gdb),
> commented on another (ceval.c-related name changes in several
> commands), and created a PR for third (documentation for the
> user-defined commands). Unfortunately, it's been so long since I
> contributed, I don't quite understand the ins and outs of the workflow
> anymore. In particular, I could find no way to add the "skip news"
> label. I'm afraid someone might have to intervene here:
>
> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/6384

You created the PR from your local python repository master branch.  I
have done this, with negative consequences.  I believe you will find
life with git easier if you never edit your master branch, or at least,
never make local commits to it, and only commit to and create PRs from
special-purpose patch branches, as described in the devguide.

--
Terry Jan Reedy