[Python-Dev] Can't open standard streams with "a"

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Apr 6 17:31:15 EDT 2018

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 17:17:58 -0400
Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2018, at 12:06, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > https://bugs.python.org/issue27805
> > [...]
> > Any chance of this getting into 3.7 or will a fix have to wait for 3.8
> > at this point? (I'm guessing "no" as I don't see a patch.)
>
> It seems like most commenters on the issue consider the behavior to be a bug so a case could be made for a fix to go into a maintenance release, not just a feature release.  But, obviously, someone needs to produce a PR for review first.

OTOH this has never worked on Python 3, so it's hardly an important fix.
If it's delicate enough, we may prefer to only ship it in 3.8.

PS : it's the first time I encounter "/dev/stderr".  Apparently it's a
Linux-only symlink to "/proc/self/fd/2", i.e. the current process' file
descriptor number 2 (which is conventionally the current process'
stderr stream)!

Regards

Antoine.