[Python-Dev] Reminder: 2018 Python Language Summit signups close next week

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed Apr 11 12:23:13 EDT 2018

The deadline is a week from today, April 18th 2018.  Original
announcement below.

--

It’s that time again: time to start thinking about the Python Language
Summit!  The 2018 summit will be held on Wednesday, May 9, from 10am to

The summit’s purpose is to disseminate information and spark
conversation among core Python developers.  It’s our yearly opportunity
to get together for an in-person discussion, to review interesting
developments of the previous year and hash out where we’re going next.
And we have lots to talk about! 3.7 is in beta, and we've all
collectively started work on 3.8 too.

As before, we’re using Google Forms to collect signups.  Signups are
open now; the deadline to sign up is Wednesday April 18th, 2018 (AoE).
Please do us a favor and sign up sooner rather than later.  The signup
form is simpler this year--I bet most people can be done in less than
two minutes!

One difference from last year: there are now *two* forms.  The first
form is for signing up to attend (the "Request For Invitation" form),
and the second form is for proposing a talk. Please note: if you want to
present, you still need to fill out the Request For Invitation form
too.  (Yes, it's more complicated this way, sorry.  But having both on
the same form kind of enforced a one-to-one mapping, and it's really a
many-to-many mapping: one person might propose multiple talks, and one
talk might have multiple presenters.  Overall this should be less
complicated.)

You can find links to *both* forms on the official Python Language
Summit 2018 page:
https://us.pycon.org/2018/events/language-summit/

A few notes:

  * There will be lightning talks!  Signups will only be available
    during the Language Summit itself.
  * You don’t need to be registered for PyCon in order to attend the summit!
  * We’ll have badge ribbons for Language Summit participants, which
    we’ll hand out at the summit room in the morning.
  * We're inviting Jake Edge from Linux Weekly News to attend the summit
    and provide press coverage again.  Jake’s done a phenomenal job of
    covering the last few summits, providing valuable information not
    just for summit attendees, but also for the Python community at
    large.  Jake’s coverage goes a long way toward demystifying the
    summit, while remaining respectful of confidential information
    that’s deemed “off the record” ahead of time by participants.

One big final note (please read this!):

    When using Google Forms, you /can/ edit your responses later!  When
    you fill out the form and hit Submit, the submission complete page
    (the one that says "Thanks for playing!") will have a link on it
    labeled "Edit your response".  BOOKMARK THIS LINK!  You can use this
    link at /any time/ to edit your response, up to the point that
    signups close on April 18th.  Keep in mind, you'll need to bookmark
    each response independently: once for signing up to attend ("Request
    For Invitation"), and once for each talk proposal you submit.
    Again, /please/ be sure to save this bookmark yourself--we don't
    know how to find the link for you later if you don't save it.

We hope to see you at the summit!

[BL]arry