[Python-Dev] Basic test to validate win10 install?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 17 15:31:31 EDT 2018

On 4/16/2018 6:00 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> I was told the python -m test are for devs only to test "auxiliary
> functions"

People say all sorts of nonsense.  I don't know what 'auxiliary
function' would mean in this context.  The Windows installer optionally
installs the tests so that users can run them.

> do you have a "basic test" i can use to validate Python36 has installed
> properly on Win10?

If clicking the Python 3.6 Python 3.6 Start Menu entry or entering
'python' or in particular 'py -3.6' at a command prompt brings up the
3.6 interactive interpreter, the installation is 'proper' unless a
particular file has an error.

For a recent StackOverflow question, a strange error in lib.idlelib.rpc
was fixed by re-installing (whereas the IDLE editor worked), so I
suspect a disk error.  I wonder if the installer could do a better job
of verifying the download and then the installation of each file.

--
Terry Jan Reedy