[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Apr 19 23:30:20 EDT 2018

Christoph Groth writes:

 > Wouldn't it be a pity not to liberate assignments from their boring
 > statement existence?

Maybe not.  While it would be nice to solve the loop-and-a-half
"problem" and the loop variable initialization "problem" (not everyone
agrees these are even problems, especially now that we have
comprehensions and generator expressions), as a matter of taste I like
the fact that this particular class of side effects is given weighty
statement syntax rather than more lightweight expression syntax.

That is, I find statement syntax more readable.

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information